Problem Solving and the Seven Step Support Process by Bernie Hoffman
The Problem Solving Process
Best Practice – Don’t jump to conclusions; take time to get the facts.
Use the Four Step Process
1. Are you aware?
2. Did you investigate?
3. Did you come to a conclusion/reach a decision/make a determination?
4. Did you take an appropriate action with no intent to harm a student or staff member?
The Seven Step Support Process
Best Practice – To successfully complete the process all seven steps should be addressed.
- Is it written?
- Is it specific?
- Is it authorized and by whom?
- Is it published?
- Is it distributed and how?
- Are the staff and students involved in-serviced?
- Is it cross-referenced with other school entity documents?